We are working today to protect tomorrow.
Become a Friend of Red Rock Canyon
In 1984 a group of enthusiastic people formed Friends of Red Rock Canyon. The original mission was to provide volunteers for Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.
Friends of Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas, Nevada, has since expanded our mission to provide not only critically needed volunteer assistance, but substantial financial support for education and environmental programs. During the past fiscal year Friends members donated over 21,000 volunteer hours and over $100,000 in direct support.
Volunteering at Red Rock Canyon
Have you ever wondered how you could help preserve, protect or enhance one of your favorite recreational places? Volunteer!
Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area has close to 200,000 acres of climbing routes, hiking, cycling and equestrian trails, a beautiful Visitor Center and some amazing Rock Stars – the resident desert tortoise.
There are over 3,000,000 visitors using the area each year so Red Rock can use all the help it can get!
Below are some opportunities Red Rock has for you to try:
• Information Desk
There are about 500,000 people coming into the Visitor Center annually. The information desk is typically staffed by two people during each morning and afternoon shift. During peak visitation periods, the need for friendly faces dispensing information increases.
• Tortoise Habitat
The best job at the Rock involves helping with the care and feeding of the 9 resident desert tortoises. The 7 females live in one large habitat and the 2 males each have their own. Habitat volunteers also interact with Red Rock guests and will likely develop a strong bond with at least one of the Rock Stars.
• Want something a little more active?
How about canyon clean-up, maintaining and improving the trees and native plants, helping to increase the hummingbird population, repairing trails, documenting and preserving our Native American cultural sites, helping on community volunteer days and removing graffiti.
You can apply for these volunteer opportunities by going to www.volunteer.gov and searching for Red Rock Canyon.
BLM Staff will be in touch with you once an application has been submitted.
A few of the benefits of volunteering:
Friends of Red Rock Canyon also provide appreciation awards, such as an annual banquet, nametags and Friends wearables based upon their volunteer hours.
The Bureau of Land Management provides free annual passes to volunteers based on their hours of service.
See more below
Volunteer Hours Reporting
These are just some of the areas you would report or log your time donated to benefit Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.
- Friends meetings, board meetings or committee meetings.
- Canyon Cleanup or trail monitoring – did you know that keeping the Canyon clean on a hike counts as volunteer service?
- Special events such as National Public Lands Day, Red Rock Day or Make a Difference Day.
- Any time you contribute to areas such as:
- Tortoise Habitat care and information
- Working at the Information Desk
- Assisting with school programs
- Helping to maintain the trails
- Recruiting members
- Serving on the Board of Directors and Friends committees
- Reporting trail damage, graffiti or suspicious activities within the Canyon
- Your donated contributions are so valuable and necessary for the successful operations of Red Rock Canyon.
Each fiscal year, Friends volunteers add the equivalent of 10 to 11 full time employees working for the Rock.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about your volunteer service.
Stay tuned for upcoming training schedules.
Benefits of being a member of Friends of Red Rock Canyon:
- Monthly e-newsletters and our magazine, the Rock , to update members on news, programs, merchandise sales, and announcements.
- A 25% discount on regularly priced merchandise purchased at Elements, the Southern Nevada Conservancy Gift Store.
- A 25% discount on all purchases made from the Friends Red Web store.
- Receive free shipping/handling on purchases totaling $25.00 or more and being sent to one U. S. continental address. For orders less than $25.00, there is a $5.00 shipping/handling fee. See Friends’ merchandise by clicking on “Store” in this website.
- Invitations to special members-only events.
- Members volunteering more than 40 hours each fiscal year are eligible for complimentary invitations to the Annual Volunteer Appreciation event. They will also receive recognition rewards from Friends of Red Rock Canyon as well as Annual or America the Beautiful passes from the Bureau of Land Management.
- Discounted entry fee of 20% for members who submit photographs for the Annual Red Rock Canyon Photo Contest.
- Opportunities for training classes such as First Aid and CPR at no cost.
- The satisfaction of knowing you are a participant in addressing the challenges facing Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area
Your tax-deductible donations enable FORRC to fund projects & services benefiting Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.
The BLM and Friends of Red Rock are proud to offer a special opportunity to place a natural sandstone tile in our Dedication Walkway.
This striking plate is now available at any DMV office for all those who wish to support Red Rock Canyon.